Monday Male

Mick is not a blogger YET, but a total gem and I thought I'd introduce you to him.

Mick just happens to be my older sister, Janie's partner.  Their love story is pretty amazing.  Janie and Mick met online on the big www and, after a few visits to South Africa, and less than a year later, he moved from the UK to be with her.  I guess they just couldn't bear being apart.

Mick was born in a small village called Ardeley in England, which is near Stevenage in the County of Hertfordshire. He lived there (or near there) for the first 20 something years before getting married and moving to a town called Royston.  Royston is steeped in history (if you wish to look it up).  Mick has an older brother, Kevin who has 5 children and 3 grandchildren and a younger sister who has 2 children and has just become a granny for the first time.

Mick makes his living as a welder, having set up his own business in South Africa making security products and balustrades..or anything else in steel.  Need a job done?

One month after his arrival in South Africa, Janie got pregnant.  Mick is a first time dad and their beautiful little girl, Claire Jane, is now 7 months old.  She is Daddy's Girl and the apple of his eye.  Janie has two children from a previous marriage (Ryan and Dylan).   

What was it like meeting your soulmate online?

That is a difficult question to answer. Why? Well how many of us speak to lots of different strangers online from many different parts of the world; I can answer that, lots of us. Then you meet that person.....the one who knows what you are thinking........the one you know what they are thinking.


And it is not just a stroke of luck, it still happens now! When I met Janie she had just come out of a difficult marriage, I had only been living on my own three months...but despite these facts we got on like we had known each other for a life time. So to get back to your question, IT IS LIFE CHANGING TO MEET THAT SPECIAL PERSON.

What was the final decision that made you move to South Africa?

Janie’s indecisiveness........no seriously, let me give you a brief history of how things went. We started talking two years ago and pretty soon we talked everyday then in the March I flew over from the UK for a long weekend........yes a long weekend arrived Thursday and went back on the Sunday. Mad! Probably!


Then at the end of April I came back out again......should of been for two weeks, but a controlling ex husband put pay to that and I went home on the Wednesday after arriving on the Sunday morning. Then in June we planned it better and I came out for a longer time and we went down to Durban and to meet Janie’s Parents. After going home then it was time for Janie to meet my folks so we planned a trip for her in August, we spent 11 fantastic days together. Janie had not got half way home when she sent me an sms saying she was going the wrong way.....we both wanted to be together. After several conversations, she was coming to me, I was coming here we decided I would come here at the end of October, then I got a letter saying my Landlord had declared himself bankrupt so I told Janie I am giving my notice and coming over......3 weeks later I was here!

Was it difficult to leave your family and country behind?

Yes and no! Difficult to leave my Dad behind as his health was and still isn’t so good, he is not only my Dad but my best friend too. Leaving the country, no, the long term plan is to return to the UK when Ryan and Dylan are old enough to stand on their own feet. It is still difficult when he is unwell but has a good Warden where he stays and she keeps me updated and he is only a plane ride away.

How have you settled in?

I think I have settled in well, yes it is a different culture but Janie has been there to guide me. I have realised some of my dreams. I have a beautiful Daughter, a great person to share my life with and my own business. I have had more fun since moving here, in the last 15 months than I have in the last..........lots of years. I find the people that I have met have all welcomed me with open arms. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Janie’s family for everything; they have all been good to me.


How did you feel when Janie told you she was pregnant?

Well that was something really special, I never thought I was going to be a Dad, I can remember that morning so vividly. We kind of knew she might be pregnant......the signs were there....no monthly!


So we went out to Supper the night before, I went to the pharmacy while our drinks were coming (no we never had supper in the pharmacy!) Next morning Janie gets up, takes the pregnancy tester and heads for the bathroom. See you in a few minutes she says.......less than a minute later she was out!


It was a difficult time, Janie was concerned what Ryan and Dylan would think.

I am one lucky man, Thank you Janie for giving me this special gift.

How has becoming a dad changed your life?

I don’t think that becoming a Dad is the only thing to have changed my life, the whole thing.......moving to another country, being with the love of my life and becoming a Dad have all contributed to my life change.


But it is a special thing and I am immensely proud of the two ladies in my life.

Do you have any regrets?

Simple to answer that NO

What’s one of your secret wishes?

I have no secret wishes …….I am just happy to be where I am right now. The only thing I want to do is to bring my daughter up to be a good person and to spend the rest of my life having fun with Janie.

Where do you see yourself in the future?

Well who knows! If you had asked me that 2 years ago I would not have said "living in South Africa". One thing I have learned is go out and do it........don't get a few years down the line and say "I wonder what would of happened if".


Thank you for participating in our Monday Male, Mick.

Now you need to go register and start blogging!